Just in case you’re out and about and see a very pregnant woman with children at her side, here are a few comments you might want to keep to yourself:
– You sure do have your hands full!
– You know how that keeps happening right?
– How old are your children? (my answer… 6, 4, and 2 with one due in January) So… you must go into heat every two years!
– You look tired… you really should take a nap (me- great…you want to come babysit while I do that?)
– Are they all your’s?
– (When I’m out by myself) Aw… congrats! When’s the baby due? Is this your first? (no… I have three at home)… silence… confusion… dismay. Oh… wow.
– Do you know what you’re having? (another girl… that makes one boy and three girls) Aw… your poor son (said in front of son) (please don’t make my son feel like God made a mistake when putting our family together or that he has somehow been cheated because he has so many sisters and no brother!)
There are so, so, so many unnecessary comments that people feel the need to share. What compels people to say these things to pregnant women, mothers, fathers, etc? I thought it was just mothers of multiple children, but my sister in law who only has one for now was told the other day, “You sure do have your hands full!” Wow.. if her hands are full.. then mine are down right overflowing!
Let’s remember the words of our mothers on this one… “If you can’t say anything nice… don’t say anything at all”… and please… let’s consider that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me is the biggest lie. Words hurt people! And words especially hurt hormonal, sleep deprived pregnant mamas!
Next time you see a mama or daddy… pregnant, frazzled or perfectly composed, try these on for size:
– What a beautiful family
– Good job
– Can I get that door for you?
– Children are such a blessing, aren’t they?
– treasure these days
– you all must have so much fun together
Excuse me while I step down from my soap box.
PS… I know I’ve blogged about this kind of thing before… on our family blog and probably on here… forgive me… but since I heard a new comment the other day (the one about going into heat every two years), my dander has been up and I just had to vent!
What crazy comments have you heard? What things would you rather people just keep to themselves. Come on and share so we can all have a good laugh!